Out of GloucesterHome ] Up ]

The Cavalier


December 7, 1916

Hanson Killed When Spar Fell
Accident on Sch. Cavalier Bound Home From Banks
Body Afterward Washed Overboard and Lost
Cook Died on Trip

With her colors at half mast, sch. Cavalier, Capt. Robert B. Porper, arrived here early this morning and reported the loss of Severen Hanson, one of her crew, who died on shipboard from injuries after he had been struck by either a block or part of the mainmast which fell from above during a sudden puff of wind, while the craft was homeward bound.  Edward Gallagher, another of the crew, was also injured in the accident, although not seriously and is getting along nicely now.

The Cavalier has been in hard luck ever since leaving port.  Capt. Porper left here October 20, and had been out but a few days when her cook, Carl Olson, died.   The Cavalier put in at a Nova Scotia port and another cook was sent down, after which the craft resumed her trip.

Everything went well until last Friday, when the Cavalier was returning from Green Bank and the accident occurred which cost Hanson his life and injured Gallagher.  It was blowing a good breeze, although not what would be termed a gale and the Cavalier was coming along under single reefed mainsail, and foresail and jumbo.

About midnight Friday, when about 60 miles southeast of Sable Island, a sudden gust struck the Cavalier, causing her mainsail to jib over and in the strain, some of the blocking and gear overhead fell to the deck.  All hands were on deck at the time, taking in the foresail, and they had no sooner started to clear away the entanglement when a section of the mainmast, which had snapped off a few feet below the cross trees, came crashing through the sail to the deck below.

It was dark as pitch at the time and in the mishap Hanson was struck in the head, either by a block or the masthead itself.  He was taken below and everything done for his relief, but he never regained consciousness and died a few hours later.

The body was placed in the top dory of the nest on the starboard side and the Cavalier continued her journey home after making necessary repairs so as to proceed.  This was Saturday, and later in the day, while the craft was laying to mast without any warning, a nasty sea hit her on the starboard side, aft of where the dories rested, lifting the entire nest bodily, and swept them into the foresail and carrying the top one containing the body of Hanson far over the port side.  It happened in a second it seemed, and before the skipper or crew could act.  This was the last seen of the body and some distance away was the remains of the dory which had been smashed in the compact.  The windlass was badly damaged and other damage done about the deck forward.

Edward Gallagher, who was hurt when the masthead fell, received injuries about the shoulder and chest.  He was able to come ashore this morning and will seek medical treatment, although he is much better.

The Cavalier brought 15,000 pounds fresh halibut, 15,000 pounds salt cod and 25,000 pounds fresh fish.

Hanson, the unfortunate man was about 30 years of age and boarded at the Fort.  He was unmarried. 

While he was out on the previous trip, the oldest daughter of Capt. Porper died, he not knowing of the sad affair until his arrival home.


  Out of GloucesterOut of Gloucester Home ] Up ]

   The contents of this site, including but not limited to the text and images and their arrangement, are
Copyright by R. Sheedy - all rights reserved.