Out of Gloucester


November 21, 1949

One Gloucester Fisherman Drowned
After Collision New York Harbor
Tina B. Rammed and Sunk by City Garbage Vessel
August Miguel Missing
Nine Others Rescued

The 80-foot auxiliary fishing dragger Tina B. of this port was rammed and sunk by a New York garbage disposal vessel within 500 feet of piers in New York harbor early last evening, with the loss of one of her crew, August Miguel, 31 years, brother-in-law to the owner-skipper, Capt. Simplicio B. Bichao, of this city.

Miguel with two others, dove overboard directly after the collision in an attempt to swim ashore.  Two of the trio made the pier but nothing more was seen of Miguel.  Capt. Bichao and other survivors, all of this city, left New York for this city this forenoon and are expected home tonight.  The Tina B. launched only four years ago, is valued at $120,000 and is partially covered by insurance.

Survivors include Capt. Bichao, owner-skipper; Richard Poor, 57 years, engineer; Manuel Carvalho, cook; John A. Bichao, 66 years; Leopold S. Riberio, Jr., 28 years; Antone daSilva; Joseph E. Santos; Eino O. Alto, 39 years.

The Tina B. sailed from here a week ago today to spend the winter dragging out of New York.  She was inward bound with her first southern fare, 30,000 pounds fresh fish, when proceeding through Buttermilk channel between Brooklyn and Governor's Island, last evening on her way into Fulton market, New York.  The dragger hove to for a space, her engine idling, to allow a tanker to pass.   The New York city sludge boat, otherwise known as a garbage disposal craft, is reported to have rammed the 32-ton fishing vessel on the port side, crushing into the engine room.  The sludge boat was bound to sea with a load of garbage.

Capt. Bichao stated that his craft was so badly torn that she started to founder at once and he ordered his men to climb into the rigging in an effort to stay afloat until they could be picked up.  However, Miguel, Santos and Riberio preferred to take their chances by diving overboard.   That was the last seen of Miguel.

Santos and Riberio were more fortunate and succeeded in conquering the icy waters and swan the 500 feet to neighboring piers.   Both were rushed to a hospital and given first aid treatment.  They were discharged later and will be home with their dory-mates today.

The sludge boat played its searchlight on the harbor waters to aid a New York police boat to pick up the survivors.  The Tina B. sank in less that an hour, according to report.

Miguel, who is single, had been a crew member on the Tina B. for the past three months.  He was born in Cambridge.

The police boat was summoned to the scene by Harry Glenn, a pier watchman, who heard the cries from the sinking boat.

The Tina B. was launched at the shipyard of John Prince Story at Essex, September 24, 1945.  The craft was 80 feet long, 20 feet wide, 10 1/2 feet deep and had a hold capacity of 125,000 pounds.  She went redfishing out of Gloucester since her launching and was engaged in this business during the past summer.


  Out of GloucesterOut of Gloucester

   The contents of this site, including but not limited to the text and images and their arrangement, are
Copyright by R. Sheedy - all rights reserved.