Out of GloucesterHome ] Up ] The B. C. Borden ] The Lena F. Oxner ] The Angie L. Marshall ] [ The Marie and Winnifred ] The Thelma ] The Governor Marshall ] The Julia ] The Marguerite ] The Grace and Evelyn ] The Catherine ] The Exeter ] The Neptune ] The G. N. Soffron ] The Mary F. Curtis ] The Mary Alice ] The Nina ] The Ave Maria ] The St. Nicholas ]

The Marie and Winnifred


Wednesday, January 30, 1925

Coast Guard Rescues Six Gloucester Fishermen From Rigging of Wrecked Dragger at Race Point
Marie and Winifred Grounds During Blizzard While Seeking Shelter—
Fire in Oil Barrel Guides Rescuers to Stricken Vessel—
No One Injured

Six Gloucester fishermen, numbed by cold and hanging to the superstructure of their craft, the 80-foot Gloucester auxiliary fishing dragger Marie and Winifred, were rescued through the heroic efforts of the U.S. Coast Guard early this morning after the dragger trying for shelter at Race Point near here, went hard aground during the blinding snow storm.

Their skipper, Capt. Leroy N. Amero, 43, paid high tribute to the courage and daring of the Coast Guardsmen. The craft owned by the B & B Trawling Co., Gloucester, and valued at $40,000 is believed to be a total loss after taking a terrific beating from the heavy seas and storm. The craft was built in Essex, MA in 1929.

The Gloucester crew included the following :

Capt. Leroy N. Amero, 43, master
Walter Cunningham, 59, engineer
Lewis F. Thompson, 54, cook
John A. MacKillop, 37
Mario Polloni, 46, of Rockport
Vincent J. Walsh, 51

"We were just about to abandon ship," said Capt. Amero. "And were going to try to put out in our dory when the Coast Guard came. We were going down fast. All my men were suffering from exposure. Their feet and fingers were freezing. Our engine room was flooded. Our stern was under and our bow was up." "I can’t praise the Coast Guard enough. We were just hanging on when they came. Their first try to take us off was futile. They had to make another run alongside. It was an almost impossible job in the high seas but they did it."

The Marie and Winifred left Gloucester last Wednesday and had gone into this port yesterday and discharged a fine trip of groundfish, holding aboard what ocean perch she had aboard. They were returning to the fishing banks last night when they ran head-on into the blizzard, and the skipper decided to move closer in shore in an effort to escape the terrific pounding. However, the dragger grounded hard on a sandbar off Race Point. Capt. Amero and his crew lit a bonfire aboard ship, using a metal container to hold the fire in an effort to attract rescuers to their side. They had already radioed to the U.S. Coast Guard for aid. The motor lifeboat from Race Point Lifeboat station in command of CMB John Correa and with CM3c John Heath and En3c Warren Quinn, for crew, was dispatched to the scene, and a Coast Guard patrol boat out of Provincetown also joined the search.

The position of the stricken dragger was given as about a mile north of the Race Point lighthouse. It was so thick at the time because of the weather that there was practically no visibility, making the job of the Coast Guard a most difficult one. Report has it that the Race Point lifeboat bucked the fierce weather for four hours before the crew spotted the beacon fire aboard the dragger. The Coast Guarder fought through to the side of the dragger and saw the crew of the fisherman clinging to the ice-covered super-structure of the boat and finally could hear their shouts for help above the roar of the storm. The Coast Guardsmen noted that much of the dragger was virtually submerged.

After succeeding in getting the six men off the dragger and onto the lifeboat, the fishermen were rushed to Race Point station where they were treated for exposure. A few hours after the crew of six had been furnished with dry clothing, Capt. Amero and his men returned with the coast Guard to the wreck hoping that it might be possible to beach the dragger so that efforts might be made to salvage the Gloucesterman. The Marie and Winifred had taken a terrific pounding on the sandbar through the night.

Throughout the search, the Coast Guard lifeboat from Race Point, had kept in constant radio communication with their own station and with the radio station at Marshfield in their attempt to locate the stricken dragger by plotting bearings.

The Marie and Winifred for many years was owned and skippered by Capt. Alexander McDonald of Gloucester. She was a dory trawler at first and was later converted to dragging. Her present owners are ex-Mayor John J. Burke, Jr., and William J. Brady, the partners in the B. & B. Trading Co.


  Out of GloucesterOut of Gloucester Back ] Home ] Up ] Next ]

   The contents of this site, including but not limited to the text and images and their arrangement, are
Copyright by R. Sheedy - all rights reserved.