Out of GloucesterHome ] Up ] Howard Blackburn ] Lost at Sea ] At Death's Door ] The Lizzie J. Greenleaf ] Fortunate Rescue ] Six Days Astray ] Adrift Three Days ] [ Adrift Five Days ] Adrift Four Days ] Boy Fisherman ] Given Up, Return Safe ] Angus McEachern and James McNeil ] Skipper saves crew ] 130 Miles to Mainland ] On The Rocks ] Return Home ] Night in an Open Boat ] Bootleggers Lost at Sea ] Adrift off Thatcher's Island ] Pumped Seven Days ] Mourning Turned into Joy ]

Adrift Five Days


August 15, 1910

Starving Fishermen Picked Up
Had Been Adrift Five Days Without Food or Water

Capt. William Grady of sch. Margaret, which arrived home this forenoon from a halibut trip to the far north via Portland fished in latitude 49, where he found some fish and secured a good trip in addition to the fresh halibut landed at Portland.  He brought home 15,000 pounds of salt cod.

Capt. Grady reports August 1, 20 miles east of Cape Buena Vesta on the Northern coast of Newfoundland, he picked up a dory containing William Dodge and Snuls Kippen two of the crew of sch. Fannie Smith of Fortune Bay, N. F., who had been astray five days and nights without food and water.

The men were on the eve on collapsing when rescued, and could not have survived much longer.  He kept them on board three days, when they practically recovered and landed them at Bay Bulls.

Capt. Grady and his crew did everything to relieve the suffering of the stray men, whose tongues and lips were split and parched from not having any water during the time they were adrift.  It was a most timely rescue for few vessels ever pass that distant section at any time of the year.

Two of Crew of Sch. Ramona Picked Up

Two of the crew of sch. Ramona of this port, which is not absent on a halibut trip to the Labrador coast, strayed from their vessel June 29, while they were visiting their trawls.  A thick fog set in and they lost sight of their vessel.  The weather was piercing cold and for four days, two of them in a driving rain, they rowed and drifted, finally making Double Islands, off the Labrador shore.  There were only shacks there and Esquimos who arrived in a boat advised them to go south to Hopedale where were the Moravian Missionaries.  The Esquimos accompanied them and the two fishermen were splendidly treated at Hopedale where they remained 22 days.

The men were later taken to Halifax by steamer Bruce from Newfoundland, arriving there last week.


  Out of GloucesterOut of Gloucester Back ] Home ] Up ] Next ]

   The contents of this site, including but not limited to the text and images and their arrangement, are
Copyright by R. Sheedy - all rights reserved.