Out of GloucesterHome ] Up ] Unknown Schooner ] Sea Serpent ] An Awful Gale ] Drowned by a Swordfish ] Swordfish Attacked ] N.S. Sea Serpent ] A Busy Day ] Mary F. Curtis ] [ Two days gale ] Six Fishermen Drowned ] Death Stared Them In The Face ] The New St. Joseph ] Coast Guard ] Whale Attacks Craft ] The Ripple ] N. F. Man Killed ] The Mildred Robinson ] Ice Floe Escape ] The Donald L. Silver ] George Dobson ] The Keno ] Sea Serpent II ] Men Badly Burned ] The Angie L. Marshall ] Wounded Swordfish ] The Harvard ] The Edith C. Rose ] The Marion McLoon ] A Close Call ] Saved from a Watery Grave ] Nine Fishermen Dragged into Briny ] The Mariana ] The Flow ] Relics From a Sunken Vessel ] The Medford ] Swept off the deck ] Four Fishermen Burned ] The Marshal Frank ] The San Antonio ] Swims Through Sharks ]

Two days gale


Saturday, May 31, 1913

Thought Lost- Fishers Live
Two of Local Italian Boat Fleet Rode Out Two Days Gale
with Feed Pipe Broken—
Towed in Today

Caught in a heavy wind squall Thursday afternoon, which broke the feed pipe of their gasoline tank, Nick Parisi and his brother Joe, well known members of the little fleet of Italian boat fishermen at the Fort had a most thrilling experience of being left helpless outside for two nights, which they would not care to repeat again.

After drifting several miles in their disabled craft, they finally anchored on Middle Bank and waited for assistance, which came at length this morning, when they were rescued by Paul Scola, one of the Italian fleet, and towed back to port, much to the relief of their anxious relatives and friends who had almost given them up for lost.

The boat left Fort wharf about 3 o’clock Thursday afternoon in charge of the brothers to make a set outside. A little later Paul Scola, a brother-in-law of Nick started out in his boat and 12 miles east of Boston light they set their gear. Scola saw the Parisi brothers about a mile away and later started for port, leaving them still on the grounds.

On the way in a heavy breeze sprang up northwest. It blew hard and Scola had quite a time of it getting in, not arriving at Fort wharf until dark. In the meanwhile, the family of the Parisi brothers anxiously awaited the arrival of the little craft, but as the men failed to return they became deeply alarmed. At 9 o’clock, still no tidings had been received of the missing men, and Capt. Nelson A. King and crew of the Dolliver’s Neck Life Saving Station were notified and started out in search of the boat, accompanied by Scola.

The power life-boat cruised off Boston light over an area where the men had fished, and it was thought might have drifted, but nothing was seen of them. At 1 o’clock, the crew returned to the station.

All day yesterday anxious inquiries were made for the little craft and its occupants. It blew quite a gale during the morning and considerable fears were entertained for the safely of the men.

In the meanwhile, however, the fishermen were safe at anchor and remained in their boat, waiting for help to come. Just as they were about to start for home Thursday afternoon, a heavy sea tossed the little boat with such fury as to start the gasoline tank and snap off the feed pipe. The fishermen worked for hours, vainly trying to make a connection, while their craft drifted out to sea. Finally they gave it up, and brought her to anchor and decided to lay by in hopes of sighting some passing craft.

Outside of being hungry, they suffered but little hardship. They weathered the blow all right, and when Scola's craft put in sight this morning and caught their signal of distress, their joy knew no bounds. On reaching the men, Scola first ascertained that they were all right, and putting a line out astern, started to tow them in, arriving here at noon.

The deep gloom which had spread among the Italian colony, was quickly transformed into joy and the men hastened to their homes where there was joyous reunion.


  Out of GloucesterOut of Gloucester Back ] Home ] Up ] Next ]

   The contents of this site, including but not limited to the text and images and their arrangement, are
Copyright by R. Sheedy - all rights reserved.