Out of GloucesterHome ] Up ] Unknown Schooner ] Sea Serpent ] An Awful Gale ] Drowned by a Swordfish ] Swordfish Attacked ] N.S. Sea Serpent ] A Busy Day ] Mary F. Curtis ] Two days gale ] Six Fishermen Drowned ] Death Stared Them In The Face ] The New St. Joseph ] Coast Guard ] Whale Attacks Craft ] [ The Ripple ] N. F. Man Killed ] The Mildred Robinson ] Ice Floe Escape ] The Donald L. Silver ] George Dobson ] The Keno ] Sea Serpent II ] Men Badly Burned ] The Angie L. Marshall ] Wounded Swordfish ] The Harvard ] The Edith C. Rose ] The Marion McLoon ] A Close Call ] Saved from a Watery Grave ] Nine Fishermen Dragged into Briny ] The Mariana ] The Flow ] Relics From a Sunken Vessel ] The Medford ] Swept off the deck ] Four Fishermen Burned ] The Marshal Frank ] The San Antonio ] Swims Through Sharks ]

The Ripple


December 22, 1922

Trawler Ripple Hit By Steamer
Former is Knocked on Beam Ends and Leaking
Unknown Craft Continues After Collision with Fisherman

The crew of seam trawler Ripple, which arrived at the South Boston Fish Pier yesterday from South Channel, had a narrow escape from death when their craft was run into by an unknown tramp steamer.  The steamer crashed into the starboard bow of the fishing vessel, smashing in the plates and throwing the Ripple over on her beam ends.

Without waiting to learn the result of the collision, the unknown heartlessly sped away, leaving the crippled fishing craft to her fate.

According to the statement of Capt. Patrick Collins, the Ripple was fishing in South Channel at 3.30 o'clock Monday morning when the unknown steamer came up from the rear heading in a southwesterly direction and hit the trawler, which was unable to change her course owing to the fact that her purse net was swung out.

The mate of the Ripple was in charge at the time and when he realized that a collision was inevitable he threw the wheel over hard to port, in an effort to escape.  The force of the blow was so great that the Ripple was thrown over on her beam ends and the men on board expected she would capsize.   Slowly the ship righted to an even keel and after the crew recovered from the shock and confusion, they made a hasty examination, which showed a severe indentation in the bow.  The trawler also began to leak and it was necessary to keep the pumps in operation.  Just after the crash the whistle of the trawler was sounded as a signal of distress, as those on board feared she had received injury that might result in her sinking.  The unknown vessel paid not the slightest attention to the signal and within a few minutes was lost to view in the darkness.

The Ripple, which is owned by the Bay State Fishing Company will be surveyed after her fare is discharged.  Capt. Collins will make a complete report of the circumstances of the collision to the United States steamboat inspectors and an effort will be made to learn the identity of the unknown steamer.


  Out of GloucesterOut of Gloucester Back ] Home ] Up ] Next ]

   The contents of this site, including but not limited to the text and images and their arrangement, are
Copyright by R. Sheedy - all rights reserved.